Sunday, January 1, 2017

Small Town Resolutions

Last night I had the privilege of ringing in 2017 by watching the ball drop...well not THE ball, but A ball.  The ball that our charming small-town community hangs from a crane and drops down a wire as the crowd counts down to the new year.  To be honest, the ball is not quite the Swarovski chandelier that the New York crowd is used to, and instead my hubby looked at it and said, "hmmm...kind of looks like they made it with barbed wire and Christmas lights.

In all fairness, this is only the second year that our little town has held the midnight ball drop, and last year, my daughter exclaimed, "Maybe we shouldn't stand so close, it doesn't really look stable up there." So, our little town has made progress, and the ball drop has gotten more stable and made for a fun little event. In fact, despite the awkward jerking of the ball as it descended the wire, the crowd was fun and enthusiastic, and even us 40-somethings got excited about the celebration and joined the younger, hipper party-goers in our own attempt at selfie memories.  My friend Amy's selfie attempt is here:




Basically, by the time we figured out how to change the direction of the phone camera - all while wearing gloves - the ball had already dropped and our picture ended up including the tops of our puffball hats and the black sky above us.  All in all, a great memory!

As with each January 1st, this new year brings with it the anticipation of exciting new things as well as the stress of trying to decide which of the exciting new things I'm actually supposed to get excited about.  I'm currently in a slight panic about all of the very motivated and organized women out there who have written down their goals, created resolution support groups on Facebook and posted very encouraging statuses such as:
Today is the first blank page in a 365 page book, write a great story!

For real, I'm just trying to get through this week without locking my keys in the car, I'm not sure I can handle 365 pages of goal-achievement!  That being said, in an attempt to make 2017 the best year yet, I did create a few manageable resolutions that I'm hoping won't make me cry by the end of the week.

1.  Exercise.  I feel like this is doable as long as I keep my expectations low - so like a few times a month...give or take. I used to work out all of the time.  And then I just got tired...and busy...and I know that working out is not about having time but about making time, but right now I just can't make time...because that would mean giving up things like watching Netflix or sleeping in.  I started today on this goal, and hubby and and I took a great 2 mile walk around the neighborhood - I even wore running shoes, and to be honest, my legs are already sore, so basically I ran a 5K.

2. Do nice things.  This past year I watched my students do really nice things for others - they raised almost $20,000 just in the month of December, all to give away to others - I love that! And I love that they all began to understand life is really not about serving themselves but serving others.  My goal is to hold on to that same others-centered living and do random acts of kindness that will change others' lives.  I'm so excited about this goal that today I had my groceries put in paper bags instead of plastic - it's the little things!

3. Wear red lipstick. I really love red lipstick, but somewhere along the way I became too worried about what other people think, so I stopped wearing it.  This is common for me - I often worry about what others think.  In fact, I few years ago I was writing and blogging quite a bit, and then someone said to me, "Don't you think it's awfully narcissistic to think people want to read about your life?" So I stopped.  Because I certainly don't want to be narcissistic (see goal #2) but really, writing about my life is kind of like wearing red lipstick - it's not for everyone, but I really love it!  

My real goal this year is to be brave - in fact, BRAVE is my word for 2017.  I've even written it down in my journal, so that I will remember to take risks, to try new things, and stop worrying about everyone else's opinion.  



I really love my Lilly Pulitzer day planner/journal!

So in 2017 I'm going to wear more red lipstick...and write more, because really, it's 2017, and it's time to do new things, or maybe it's just time to do old things that I love, and when I do, I'm going to do them looking like a diva and writing all about it for all of my friends!

Here's wishing you a very happy and small town 2017!

1 comment: